In 2005 and 2007, Twitches and Twitches Too, two Disney Channel films depicting twin witches using their powers to save the world came to be. Witches at the forefront of a Disney film, let alone portrayed in a positive light? That's interesting, but what else do we have?

In 1963 wizards were given a clean face in Walt Disney's The Sword in the Stone with the depiction of Merlin. Much earlier still, Mickey taught us that wizardry can be fun and also chaotic in Fantasia. Yet other examples of wizardry and witchcraft would have us not second guessing that we should fear it. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and even later depictions of magicians in the Aladdin's Jafar. Of course, interesting depictions of shamanism and tribal cultures have also taken place, in films Brother Bear and Brother Bear 2.

In all the uproar of both the good and the bad of the Pagan world, and the great claims of the Christian Right, it's always fun to sit back with some family fun that both sides can agree upon (at least in most instances), and actually be able to relax and enjoy the magic that we can all produce in film, music, but more, through the very depiction of magic, wizardy and witchcraft in a positive light. Warner Brothers and Harry Potter may have helped bring it to the silver screen en masse more than any other series, but Disney will always reign in that innocent, child-like qualities that only it can possess.

Sound off with your thoughts and opinions!

Blessings,
Witch School Administrator

Tags: child, disney, film, harry, kids, magic, movie, pagan, potter, walt, More…wicca, witch, wizard

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree....Disney also did Teen witch I believe as well. Disney is also doing the Wizards of Waverly series, so yes Disney has always been a source of positive imagery.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a 1971 Disney movie staring Angela Lansbury as a student witch who, during WWII saves England from invasion by the Germans. It's a great story and won an oscar for best visual effects.

From IMDB: An apprentice witch, 3 kids and a cynical conman search for the missing component to a magic spell useful to the defence of Britain.
I agree, also Halmark has the Good Witch, I believe that also shows positive light.MY family has always enjoyed sitting and watching, of course my girls then act out all they have seen.

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by Witch School.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service